Thursday, September 29, 2011

One Step At A Time


**Here's one I wrote a few months ago. It's about one of my least favorite things.**


There’s a white guy who lives in my neighborhood.  I don’t know his name.  I don’t know where he works.  However, I do know his job must have pretty good hours.  I know this, because I see him many times a week, while I am either leaving or going to work.  Whenever I see him, he is jogging, or riding a bike.  We call him, “the sporty guy.”  The Sporty Guy seems to be in good shape, and he seems to really like exercising.  He must like it. He does it often enough.  I can’t help but wonder whether, if I had his dream job (I like imagining), if that is how I would spend my gloat-worthy free time.  Running?  

.
Add caption
So, cut back to today.  It’s 6:00 am.
.
My wife is out…
.
Running. 
.
I hate running.  I really do.  It hurts.  In middle school, when we were tested every six weeks in P.E., part of the test was running a mile.  We were given 12 minutes to complete it.  I failed. Every time. Fat kids finished before me.  (I was as thin as a rail in middle school. It was baffling, really).  To this day, I don’t think I have ever run a mile in less than 12 minutes.  
.
Not that I haven’t tried.  There have been a couple of times in the past year that Ferial and I tried to start running…to no avail.  It’s quite hard to get motivated at 6:00 am, especially when the alternative is another half-hour of sleep.  Also, the last time we tried to start, it was still a bit too cold out. The cold hurt as my out of shape lungs begged for oxygen, from the thin cool air.  
.
Our last attempt was over a month ago.  Then yesterday, she surprised me and said “So, I’ve been thinking (always a dangerous phrase).” She followed that up with “I’d like to go running tomorrow morning.” I couldn’t help but wonder if she was thinking straight… She then said that I didn’t have to come if I didn’t want to….(that’s a trick, right?)
.
Anyway, when she got up this morning, she asked me if I wanted to come.  
Ummm….do I want to?  Certainly not…  Am I going to??  
.
Perhaps someday soon.  I just couldn’t wrap my mind around it this morning.  I’d like to, though. You see, I want to be in better shape.  I want to be strong.  I want to have endurance. I would like to be more like The Sporty Guy. 
.
Today, though…I’m more like The Blogging Guy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...