Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Divine Discontentment


I recently wrote about my struggle with discontentment

As I walked home, this evening, after a long day at work, I found myself quite thankful. 

I'm still unhappy with my job. I'm still burdened by decisions about the future. I'm still painfully aware of problems around me at work, in my church and the world in which I live. 

However, for a second, I was sure. I knew that this is right. I'm in the right place, struggling with the right things. 

The leaves have started turning, and now the trees are bedecked with a brilliant array of earth toned flutterings. The air was cool. The world was uncommonly quiet. For that brief moment, I was content. 

I am reminded of the line from Browning, which though ironic and satirical is nonetheless beautiful. 

The year's at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in his Heaven—
All's right with the world!

The year's not at the Spring...and my day's not at the morn, but my God is in his Heaven. He sits upon his throne, carefully governing and faithfully guiding. 

And all is right with the world. 

But is it?  Is all right with the world? 

Of course not...Not at all! This world is broken...fallen like thousands upon thousands of leaves. 

Perhaps, that is the point, though. None of this brokeness is outside of God's control. None of this comes as a surprise to him. In fact, when we were fallen, left to rot, he gave us the hope of Spring in himself! He is the new life...and we will only truly find contentment in Him...and only fully when on the other side. 

C.S. Lewis said, "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

This is divine discontentment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...