Monday, October 3, 2011

Going Corporate


Source
I dreamed today of going corporate.


It was a brief, fleeting day-dream in the middle of class.


I envisioned myself leaving a tall office building at the end of the day, brief case in hand, trench coat over one arm, clean cut and dressed well in a grey suit. I would get into my modest, low-end BMW and head toward my two-story suburban home, with plush carpets and a spacious back yard.


I was also thinner, had a more prominent jaw and more of a taper to my torso...it's a dream, right?


A montage of images passed before the eyes of my mind in that stray second: sitting in front of a computer monitor in my cubicle, a spreadsheet open on screen, my wife at home with the children, cooking dinner, playing ball with my boy and my dog on the weekend, watching the news on my large flat-screen....


Then I woke up.


It sounds nice doesn't it? It sounds tempting.


Because it is.


There's a reason it's called the American dream.


But I don't dream that way, often.


I told a friend about this and he answered, "there are good dreams, and there are better dreams."


I knew exactly what he meant.


We are not of this world. He and I are Christians and we have hope in a home more glorious than even our most gaudy visions of grandeur. I'm not talking about any of that mansions-in-glory nonsense. I'm talking about how Jesus responded when his disciples started panicking at the thought of him leaving. He said, "in my Father's house there are many rooms, if it were not so, I would have told you. I go there to prepare a place for you."


This world just happens to be where I live. It's not my home...and as a follower of Christ, I'm here on mission. I have a goal, a task, a God given commission. As nice as plush carpets and luxury cars are, I hold fast to a hope that by forgoing those things, I might be able to use my talents, income and possessions to accomplish that task more effectively, and glorify Him more greatly.


Plus, I'd never be able to land a job in the corporate world...Who am I kidding?

1 comment:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...