Sunday, April 8, 2012

Significance


I've been having trouble sleeping on Sunday nights, recently.

That could be due in part to all the coffee I've been drinking on Sundays, since Lent began.

During the Lenten season many people practice the idea of "mini-feasts" and choose not to abstain from their chosen item on Sundays. Which for me, means I drank a lot of coffee on Sundays for about the last month.

Today Lent ends, though. I can wake up tomorrow and enjoy a Monday Morning cup of coffee for the first time in about fifty days.

Amen.

Yes, today is Easter, and as I tap these words out on my iPod, in the dark, I'm on the tail end of it.

Easter has come and gone...and if I'm being honest, it was a bit disappointing. My wife and I went to bed arguing last night, and awoke to find the fight waiting on us, we were late for Easter brunch at a friends house, and the Easter dinner we had planned with some other friends ended up being cancelled because of illness in their home.

These were merely minor irritations, though. What really made the day mediocre for me was the lack of seeming significance I felt about the whole thing.

There was a mounting sense of expectation in my soul. Which makes sense, as I was observing Lent, a season of waiting, expecting...and so the tension built for the past month and more, as an ever expectant Easter hope arose in my mind and heart. So, when the day finally dawned and was not the wondrous delight I thought it would be, but was instead a sort of mundane mixture of normalcy and turmoil, I was secretly disappointed.

As I talked with a friend tonight, he told me that there are those out there who assert that it doesn't matter whether or not Christ actually rose from the dead, as long as he is risen in your heart. As he told me this, I realized something. I was guilty of the opposite this Easter - I believe that he really rose from the dead, but he was not risen in my heart.

So, here I sit, awake in the darkness, as the clock clicks to two after twelve and Easter is over. The question that I must answer for myself, and that you too must wrestle with is this - What now?

How will you respond this Easter? Because whether or not you and I feel it, whether or not the celebration went as planned, whether or not we recognize the significance, it's there. It's true.

So, loudly, boldly, triumphantly, I will proclaim and truly know that in my heart, in my mind and more importantly, in actuality -

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling over death by death, (so) come awake, come awake, come and rise up from the grave.
Christ is risen from the dead, we are one with Him again, (so) come awake, come awake, come and rise up from the grave!

2 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...