Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Jog Log - Entry #1








If you're a regular reader of my blog, then (a) you're awesome, and (b) you probably read that last week that I tried on a pair of shorts. A seemingly regular event that caused me to fall into a state of temporary insanity. As a result of this lapse in reasonable thinking, I decided I was going to start an activity that I believe a very few healthy, rational men would - I was going to start running. That's just my problem though. I am not a healthy man. I am overweight, and although I lost considerable poundage when I moved to Korea, I've nearly gained it all back now...thanks in part to our glorious car, Gonzo, a greater ability to cook home-style food, and busier schedules, which haven't allowed for as much exercise time.


Well, as the man says, you make time for what's important to you, so I've made time for running (see, I'm Coocoo for Cocoa Puffs!..which I can't have because I'm trying to eat healthier too.)

Anyway, I thought that it might be of scientific and sociological consequence, benefiting future generations, for me to document these proceedings, that others may prevent similar losses of brain function and avoid such I'll-advised activities as - running.

It' been one week since that fateful fitting. In that time, I've gone out jogging three times. The first time was exhilarating. I ran until it hurt (which was about 200 meters), up and down the hiking trails on the hill behind our home. I ran around the sports fields and the stadium, stopping every so often for some push-ups, jumping jacks or to take advantage of the public exercise equipment that is present in every Korean park.

The next day, I hurt, though. Bad. I was sore in places I didn't know could be sore - the bottoms of my feet, for goodness' sake! Still, I went running again on Wednesday. I didn't push myself so hard this time, but tried to implement more variety into the workout. This time out was less impassioned flailing as it was a planned venture.

When I didn't go out running again, throughout the rest of the week / weekend, I worried that I wouldn't be able to muster the will to do it again. I dislike it too much. I prefer sleep. However, I went out again this morning, running, jumping and pushing myself under an eclipsing sun, the strange warm light, energizing my mind (in truth, I didn't even realize that there was an eclipse until after I'd been home, but thinking back on the run, I did notice a difference in the morning light).

That's it. My first jog log.  After the run, I hurt all over - my head, my chest, my arms. However, in the end, I do believe the result is worth the pain. I believe being healthy in the long run (get it) is worth this temporary pain.

And I will fit into those shorts again.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...