Sunday, May 13, 2012

Premeditated Sin


Have you ever planned in advance to sin?

I once had a friend who threatened that if his girlfriend broke his heart, he would just go out and start kissing every beautiful girl who gave him the chance.

I'm a planner and I often allow hypothetical situations to play out in my head, scripting speeches, snarky comments, sarcastic comebacks and entire arguments.

I once had an imaginary argument with a TSA agent. I wasn't even flying anytime soon.

I think we often plan for sin.

"If so-and-so says _________, then I'll say _________ back. That'll show her."

"If my wife nags me about _______, then I know exactly how I'll respond."

We often plan for sin...we even plan contingency sins, back-up sins....

How often do we plan grace, though?

How often do we exercise premeditated discipline?

My wife and I are going to Bali on vacation in a few weeks, [I KNOW, RIGHT?] and we've made reservations at a few restaurants - glorious temples of gluttony, all you can eat altars to the gastro-gods. It's gonna be awesome!

I love food. I know, you think you love food, but your love looks like locked-in-a-cage-in-the-backyard neglect compared to my love...just being honest, here. I love food. So, as you can imagine, I'm pretty dang excited for the cuisine on this trip...but today, I caught myself planning to sin - about 15 counts of premeditated gluttony, 2 counts of aggravated laziness and one charge of armed affluence.

I was PLANNING to over-eat!

Oh, I also tried on a new pair of shorts this morning that didn't fit...new ones. Haven't been worn yet, and I've already outgrown them...this situation had me nearly motivated enough to get up and exercise tomorrow morning...then I remembered the cornucopia of calories that is awaiting me in Indonesia, and I decided that it would be pointless to exercise now, since I'll just be gorging myself into a coma for a solid week anyway...

That's when I realized that if I weren't planning on sinning so much on vacation, this wouldn't be a problem. If I was planning for discipline, for moderation, then I could start trying to get back in better shape, and not only not sabotage my own efforts in Bali, but perhaps even use the time I'll have there to assist in the effort!

So, if I can pull it off, I'm going to try to exercise in the morning...I'm going to try to get into better shape. I'm going to fit back into those shorts.

And I'm changing my plans.

2 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...