Saturday, September 15, 2012

Dinner Parties and Doxology


"Oh my goodness! It just keeps coming!"

My parents-in-law throw a pretty good party. They have a big beautiful home, a large gorgeous kitchen and Mamajzoub (pronounced mama-zoob) is a chef of the highest calibre. Seriously, people have been telling her for years to start her own restaurant, audition for Master Chef or "please, please, invite us over for dinner again!" 

Tonight, I had the privilege of participating in and benefiting from one of these gatherings. She has a few friends that work for this little Christian radio station called, k-love, and she invited them over tonight for dinner. There was a lot of preparing, a little bit of stress, a lot of fun and a LOT of food. 

A LOT. 

There was hummos and baba ganoush, with homemade pita chips and Mediterranean antipasti for appetizers. We drank a luscious mint lemonade, followed by the main course - Persian kebab'e kubide, a mixture of ground meat (chicken and beef in this case), puréed onions, garlic and saffron. All that is molded onto a metal skewer which resembles a dull rapier and grilled to perfection. Served on the side was saffron rice, fire-roasted tomatoes, grilled zucchini, pita bread and salad with a home-made balsamic vinaigrette. 

After we'd eaten our fill, she informed the guests that dessert would soon be served. We started with a fruit plate, French-pressed coffee, and a freshly-baked peach cobbler that resembled a glorious fusion of traditional cobbler and bread pudding, served along with vanilla bean ice cream. 

By this point, we were practically falling asleep at the table, we were so full and satisfied. So we made our way over to the fire pit, to recline and engage in post-dinner discourse. Then, from out of nowhere, Mamajzoub brought out home-made biscotti and chocolate covered strawberries. 

It was at this point that one of the guests exclaimed, "Oh my goodness! It just keeps coming!"

-----------------------------------------
insert Christian segue here:
-----------------------------------------


This is often the way I feel about God. I don't know about you, but the way I see it, He's given me so much. I am blessed beyond comprehension. Sure, right now I am homeless, jobless, carless, phoneless and insureanceless (that is definitely not a word)...but all of this was by choice, following the call I believe the Lord has placed on my life. Yet, even so, God has provided so much instead! We have a home with family. We are on Mission for His Kingdom. We have transportation, and communication on loan from family! We are healthy, happy, and hopeful. What a blessing even that last thing is, HOPE. So many people don't even have that. But we know Jesus. I am loved and known by the Living God! So, I have hope. And even if we were without any of those material blessings, without health, without family, we would still have hope, because we know Jesus. We know that this world is not all there is. The worst that can happen to me, here, is I die. Then I get to be with the Lord for eternity. Hallelujah. And there, in my new Heavenly home, I'll look around, look into the face of my King and exclaim, 


"Oh, my God! It just keeps coming!" 

ad infinitum.



1 comment:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...