Monday, March 18, 2013

Bored 2 Death


I gave up fashion for Lent.

You heard me right. I decided to wear nothing but black shirts and jeans for the entire 40 days leading up to Easter.

I thought it would be a good exercise in humility; a dying to self, conforming my identity more toward that of Christ.

Turns out it was more like an exercise in boredom.

It hasn't been difficult at all - barely bothersome.

Lent is supposed to be a time of reflection, compunction, sacrifice and devotion.

However, for me, it has mostly been a time of indifference.

Part of that may be because I don't go out much these days. Another part of it, is that it's not a big deal to have to wear a black t-shirt every day. It's not a sacrifice.

This doesn't mean I'm quitting.

On the contrary, I'm just having to think about it differently.

Boredom can be an enemy of the soul just as much as gluttony can be. All sorts of evil are birthed from boredom. So this is an opportunity to crucify my desire for difference - for variety. To be content with the simplicity I've committed to. It's also an chance to realize that perhaps I don't even need so much variety in my wardrobe. Hardly anyone has even noticed the monochromatic nature of my attire. Perhaps my mind has magnified the importance of wardrobe variety. I don't know how many times I've complained - "I can't wear that! It's the same color I just wore two days ago!"

I now realize that it's more than likely that no one will notice.

Until Easter, then, this is the bored Man in Black, bidding you a reflective Lenten season.

1 comment:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...