Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Green Grass Grows All Around


Other than how little I'm paid, and the copious amounts of sweat I produce while doing it, I like my job.

Most days, anyway.

I didn't think I was going to when I started. I've never been the type to gravitate toward manual labor. I've always been more of a thinker; a creative. I prefer pursuits that are intellectually stimulating, rather than physically demanding.

However, as I started to gain new skills, to understand my job more, I found myself enjoying it. I found it satisfying to work hard for 6 hours, sweat a bunch, and to have something tangible to show for it - 25 properly maintained cars and about $45 (after taxes).

One thing that made my job especially difficult to adjust to was the fact that within 2 shifts, I already had a new arch-nemesis. He was smart, sarcastic, good and his job, and angry. He quickly decided that I was going to be the target of his wrath, and would antagonize me whenever he got the chance.

Then, about two months into my employment, I received what was to me, a golden opportunity. My boss, seeing that I was finally becoming half-competent, asked me to temporarily transfer to another store, where they were short-staffed and needed a hand. At first, I was nervous, but the chance to get away from Newman more than allayed my fears.


Once there, I found the other shop to be a veritable wonderland! Our shop was much nicer, in terms of aesthetic and functionality, but this new shop was so much friendlier! They were patient, kind, nice to each other. They didn't seem to harbor malice toward the world. They liked to work, and were usually happy when customers arrived, as opposed to my shop, where arriving customers were usually met withvexpletives. 

I found that the grass truly was greener on the other side, and I very seriously inquired about whether a permanent transfer was possible. I needed to get away from Newman. I liked the slower pace of this new shop, and found the folks there to be so much more pleasant. 

Alas, as it turned out, a transfer was not in the cards. My shop couldn't spare me, as there were a number of people leaving via transfers and good old fashioned quitting. In addition my boss was going on sabbatical, so after a week or two of bouncing between the two shops, it was back to home base for me. 

Months went by. Newman quit and moved to another state. I got better and better at my job. Our team grew stronger, and more closely knit. Things were going well, and as I said, most days, I enjoyed my job. 

Then a couple of weeks ago, I was asked to fill-in for a day at that same shop. 

It was...unpleasant. 

The work was easy enough. Not only was I a better tech than the last time I was there, but I was almost completely unneeded that day. It was so slow. 

It was unpleasant, because of the people. The guys were being rude, complaining, harassing each other, participating in racist banter, and being general slobs. It was no longer a pleasant place of patience and encouragement. 

The grass was definitely not greener. 

There in that place, I was so thankful that I was never transferred, and that my shop, which was at one time such an unbearable place to work, was now the place I preferred to be. 

The grass was greener on my side. 

More importantly, I realized that the grass is the greenest in the pasture God places you. 

If you're a believer, you can be confident that wherever you find yourself, no matter how difficult the circumstances, is precisely where God wants you to be... and there is no greener grass than in the center of His will. 

If you find that the grass isn't so green, that you're grazing on bitter weeds and thistles, realize that even this is part of His plan for your life and His Kingdom. He is working things in your life for your good and His glory. 

Sometimes the color of the grass is merely a matter of perspective...and patience. 

You can be confident, however, that the Good Shepherd is leading you into pleasant pastures, and that for those who love God and are called according to His purposes, 


"Green grass grows all around, all around. Green grass grows all around."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...